A journal of my experiences with breast cancer to inform those who are interested and to help any one else who might have just been diagnosed.

“[She] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” Psalm 112:7

Monday, November 12, 2012

The Surgeon



Steven and I met with the surgeon on this day. She was very kind and caring and talked us through all the steps we would be going through. She said that she would not say exactly what stage it was until she had more information from the lymph node removal and the removal of the lump. She outlined the options of a lumpectomy, in which the lump and some tissue surrounding it are removed or the mastectomy, in which the whole breast is removed. She said that the chances of recovery (90-95%) were the same with both procedures but if the lab said that if we chose the lumpectomy  and the lab found that there were cancerous cells in the tissue around the lump, she would have to do a second operation, getting more tissue out. Steven and I both felt that we would be more comfortable with the mastectomy option. During one point in the discussion, it all became so painfully real, like a big avalanche hitting me all at once, I began shaking all over and felt as if I was going to faint. Steven recognized this and came over to hug me. The next step, the removal of some of the lymph nodes to see if the cancer cells had yet move to them was scheduled. She explained that after the mastectomy, I would undergo chemotherapy, but probably a newer type that did not require a port inserted, did not cause hair loss and the nausea was much less, if at all. There was a 50% chance that I would also need radiation therapy down the road as well. 
During the following days,  thoughts of my not seeing my kids grow up and not seeing my grandchildren ...or even not even seeing next year kept hitting me at unexpected moments and with sudden overwhelming pain. This would develop into a growing strength in conviction that I was going to do everything in my power to live!
Now that I have a little more information, I email a few good friends to tell them the news, and then later on announce it on FB, requesting prayer.
Please keep us in your prayers.

“I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee…”
2 Kings 20:5

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that a port won't need to be put in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand all too well the emotions that you are going through. I remember these same thoughts hitting me like a brick. However, as you put it so gracefully, it was these thoughts that made me more convicted to fight with everything I had to beat my cancer.

    I had the port with mine, I in no way say to or not to have one, it was a wee bit uncomfortable and I couldn't wait to get it out, but it was sure nice especially with the type of meds I got. I am glad you don't have to have one though, one less thing to have to endure.

    ReplyDelete