A journal of my experiences with breast cancer to inform those who are interested and to help any one else who might have just been diagnosed.

“[She] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” Psalm 112:7

Monday, December 3, 2012

Surgeon Follow-up

The lymph node site has healed quite nicely, so the check-up on that was pretty quick. 
We spent most of the time discussing with the doctor the options of lumpectomy vs. mastectomy, as we are still on the fence about which to go with. Initially we thought we would go with the mastectomy simply so the worry of reoccurence would be lessened, but upon looking into it further, it seems that the the percentages chances are the same with the mastectomy and the lumpectomy plus radiation. When we spoke about it with our GP, he said that some studies done lean a small percentage one way and other studies lean a small percentage the other way. From talking to the surgeon, it seems that I am in that small group in which it could go either way, as there are factors that would pull one in one direction and other factors that would pull one to the other direction, but nothing definitive either way. I could go for the lumpectomy, and radiation therapy afterwards. If cancer is found around the edges of the tissue she takes out, then she will have to go in and either get more tissue or do the mastectomy then, but if no cancer cells are found around the edges of the tissue, can can then go on to the next step of the treatment. I will have to do the hormone chemotherapy either way, and perhaps the traditional chemotherapy either way as well. If I do the mastectomy from the start, I may not have to do radiation therapy, but it is a much more difficult surgery to recover from, both physically and emotionally, and may require a few different surgeries. I suppose that I should consider the options to choose from a good thing, and I am sure that if the decision was being made for me, I would wish I had the decision to make, but trying to weigh all the factors right now seems more difficult a process than the comfort in the freedom of the choice is giving me. We are to see the Plastic Surgeon tomorrow. Perhaps that will give us more information to make the decision on.

Please keep us in your prayers.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."
-Proverbs 3:5,6

1 comment:

  1. I've been praying for you every time I read your posts, so make sure you keep these posts coming. I'm a bit ADD, so I need reminders...... Otherwise I tend to notice the squirrel jumping or something else inane :)