A journal of my experiences with breast cancer to inform those who are interested and to help any one else who might have just been diagnosed.

“[She] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” Psalm 112:7

Friday, March 1, 2013

Oncotype and Tamoxifen

We went over the results of the Oncotype test in more detail today. The score range is from 0-100 and mine was a re-occurance score of 13! This means that, according to clinical studies, those with my Oncotype profile that took Tamoxifen (hormonal chemotherapy) for five years, 6-11%, (with an average of 8%) had a re-occurance of cancer, or rather, about 92% did not have a re-occurance of cancer.
Also, I thought it was interesting to find out that not only did the traditional chemotherapy not help with reducing re-occurance, but that in about 2% of the cases it actually caused re-occurance!
I can start the Tamoxifen any time from today to when I start radiation therapy after I have finished healing from the surgery. I elected to wait until I recovered at least some from the surgery.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! to good test results and explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful News! Praying for you.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great news! And how nice to not lose your hair and get sick and all of the other things that come with the chemo! Praying Friend!

    ReplyDelete