A journal of my experiences with breast cancer to inform those who are interested and to help any one else who might have just been diagnosed.

“[She] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” Psalm 112:7

Friday, May 17, 2013

Radiation Treatment, week one

Well, I have made it through the first week of radiation treatments. The doctors and literature I read said that most people don't feel much of anything for the first three to five weeks, so I just planned life {schoolwork} as usual. No, actually, I decided to give my youngest a big birthday party on Saturday, so I had party preparations in addition to the school and house work. 

Well, folks, I have certainly felt it this week. First of all, during the first treatment, I actually felt the radiation. It felt like a cross between the warmth  of sitting in the summer sun and the warmth of a hot drink being spilled on you. I didn't feel it so much in the next treatments during the actual treatment, but during the ride home (it's about an hour away from our house) I can feel the heat radiating from my chest. So far I am not feeling too sore.

But that is not really what I mean about having felt it this week. I mean the exhaustion. I have not been able to do a fraction of what I normally do, and have been napping every day. Between party preparations and the exhaustion, I just had to say that we have an extra unplanned week of spring break and hope that the exhaustion gets better next week. At least I won't have a birthday party as well. : )

10 comments:

  1. Praying for you during this journey! You provide such a great learning environment for your kids that they are learning all of the time. Take care of yourself.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are right, Dawn. We all feel a little itching to get back to some table work. I guess it is good that they want to do it. LOL

      Delete
  2. Good verse! Allow yourself the freedom to be tired - the school work will catch up - it always does, and you know how sometimes the best learning takes place during the down times anyway. Praying that God will lift you up, and give you the strength you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leah. It is good to hear from you. We miss seeing what you guys are up to. Thank you for dropping by and encouraging me.

      Delete
  3. I hope the party is lovely and you are able to be relaxed and enjoy it.

    Dear one, you know it is okay to get a big pile of books and movies from the library and let your kids learn without all of your wonderful planning, right? Then you can save your strength for the really important stuff, like cuddling on the couch and playing games and things. They will still learn and you can still do some of the special stuff you do without trying to keep up with yourself before this.

    You are loved because of who you belong to, your children learn because they are fearfully and wonderfully made, and days will come when you have the strength. And when you don't that is okay, God knew these days were coming and he won't let you down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have put it better myself. Lots of lovely prayers being said for you.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your kind, encouraging words. Yes, I know that I can take a break and perhaps I will plan a movie and books week next week. The cuddling and playing games is always my number one priority, so I have been doing that. Thank you for being there for me. It means a lot.

      Delete
  4. I read your post, and then I read the comments and I just sat there nodding along with all of them. It is a great verse, and your kids will learn because that's who you've trained them to be.

    I can't wait to hear about the party, I bet it's going to be amazing!

    Praying for strength and energy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be a fun party. He has had a lot of fun planning it.

      Delete
  5. I hope you are able to enjoy the party! I hope you give yourself permission to spend the next week off. Learning will still happen. I love all the comments and am nodding with Ticia. Bless you! I will continue praying.

    ReplyDelete