A journal of my experiences with breast cancer to inform those who are interested and to help any one else who might have just been diagnosed.

“[She] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” Psalm 112:7

Monday, June 16, 2014

1 1/2 Year Check-Up with Oncologist

HANDLING ADVERSITY WITH CLASS
source
First of all, it was a good check-up and the exam went well. For this check-up, Steven and I had lots of questions for the oncologist, which was very different from my 1-year check-up in which we had no questions. I have developed a very itchy rash on my arms and I have been seeing a dermatologist for it. He has suggested a steroid cream to apply topically. The oncologist had told me that I was not allowed to take any steroids, but I was not sure whether this applied to topical steroids. The oncologist okay-ed the particular cream the dermatologist suggested and in fact, even okay-ed a temporary use of some oral steroids that the dermatologist wanted to use. He seemed to feel I was getting a good diagnosis and treatment from the dermatologist. So, I am good to go with the dermatologist.
Next, we talked to him about the abnormal pap test results. We were worried because we had understood that the Tamoxifen that I am taking to prevent the re-occurrence of breast cancer might cause uterine cancer. It turns out that the kind Tamoxifen encourages is a different type than the kind detected by a pap test. It is a very rare form of endometrial cancer in which there is no test for. The symptoms are heavy bleeding. The oncologist is keeping in good communication with my gynecologist.
Lastly, we talked about the possibility of switching from Tamoxifen to another medication (I believe it is called anastrozole) now that I seem to be post-menopausal. He said that he would like to see me in menopause for a full year before he would be comfortable with the switch and if I am not not reached that point by the time I see him again in December, that there might be the possibility of me getting shots to make sure that I am in menopausal so that I can make the medication switch.

6 comments:

  1. This is good news! Glad to be able to add a praise to the prayer list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good news!!! I continue to pray for you daily. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are on the mend. Praying that things continue in a positive light.
    blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much amazing news in this one post! I'm so very very thankful to hear all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so thankful all is well. So good that you have a great team looking after you and that they are communicating with eachother.

    ReplyDelete