A journal of my experiences with breast cancer to inform those who are interested and to help any one else who might have just been diagnosed.

“[She] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” Psalm 112:7

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Wibbly Wobbly Weight Loss, Living the Healthy Life: The Magic of Lemons and Vinegar

source
What do lemons and vinegar have in common? They both are sour due to the acetic acid in them, and they both keeps the effects of other foods eaten with them from affecting blood sugar levels...as much as 50%!
source
Scientists are not sure why this happens, but they do know that they interfere with the enzymes that break apart chemical bonds in starches and the kinds of sugars found in table sugar and milk. They, in fact, keep foods in general longer in the stomach so they aren't digested as quickly. Acetic acid may also speed up the rate at which glucose is moved out of the bloodstream and into the muscle cells for storage. 
I have written about many of the health benefits of lemons and limes before, but vinegar has similar effects. Just 3-4 teaspoons of vinegar can not only lower blood sugar, but it can make you feel more satisfied after a meal and it also fights bacteria and fungi.
So, have a pickle with your lunch, or squeeze some lemon into your tea or salad and enjoy the magic of lemons and vinegar!
Encouragement A little by little becomes A LOT #fitness  For more motivation, healthy recipes, weight loss tips, workouts, and more  http://www.fb.com/jenniferwoodfitness
Add caption
At my doctor's check-up today, she let me know that I had lost 20 pounds since my last visit, which makes a nearly 30 pound loss total.

7 comments:

  1. Way to go Phyllis! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations, I know that's a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this and plan to share it with my mom. She's had a rough past 12 months, and going in for another surgery on July 14. I think she'd really appreciate this note!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic, I'm so proud of you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who has lemon and hot water each morning just before breakfast - I wonder if that is the reason why? I'm really learning lots from your posts Phyllis - thank you for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete