1. You know your self and know what will and won't work for you. For example, I know that if you are dieting that a good, healthy breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, and you certainly are not supposed to skip it or you will be ravishingly hungry before lunch. Well, I know that my stomach doesn't even wake up until noon. I have tried to force myself to eat breakfast, and I have found that if it doesn't make me nauseous, then it jump starts my stomach and I become really hungry all day long. That dieting adage just doesn't work for me. Instead I don't eat anything until noon and make sure that I have planned a healthy lunch for then. It is harder to make good choices when you are hungry, so plan in advance.
2. I drink either unsweetened ice tea, ice water or seltzer water with lemon
3. For Lunch:
- Protein: eggs, chicken strips, tuna, beans, tofu or 1 slice low-fat cheese and 2 slices of turkey, lean roast beef or ham.
- Vegetables: a salad with the protein on it or a side salad with a sandwich with as many vegetables that I can stuff onto it. Celery stick and carrot sticks or bell pepper rings are good side vegetables to have as well. Sometimes I will have a Tablespoon of peanut butter with them.
- Acidics and Good Oils: Vinegar or lemon juice and olive oil for a dressing on a salad or on a sandwich (1 Tab. olive oil and 2 Tab. of lemon juice or vinegar is enough dressing for salads for both Steven and I.) or about a Tablespoon of mustard
- Carbohydrates: If I have a sandwich, I will use 2 slices rye, sourdough or pumpernickel or 1 slice whole wheat bread, if I have a salad I will have 4-6 whole wheat crackers. In addition, I will have some piece of fruit such as 1/2 mango or a peach, 1 cup of grapes, apple.
- Fruit: 1/2 apple or a small pear
- Protein: 1 Tab. peanut butter or 1 oz. Swiss cheese or goat cheese drizzled with lemon juice
- Carb: 3 or 4 whole wheat pretzels or 6 whole wheat crackers OR,
- protein/carb combos instead of the protein and carb.
- 14 oz. low-fat mixed berry yogurt with 2 Tab. Kashi Go-Lean cereal.
- 1 cup of popcorn with 8 almonds and 1 Tab. dark chocolate chips.
- Carbs.:one or two servings of carbohydrates such as 1/2 cup whole wheat pasta, potatoes or brown rice would be one serving, double that would be the two servings . No bread with dinner.
- Vegetables: Fill my plate with non-starchy vegetables, even if I am already having a salad.
- Protein: I keep my meats as lean as possible: Lean beef, chicken, turkey, tofu, beans, fish, and shrimp.
5. Evening Snack: Here is where I have what most people would have for a healthy breakfast.
- Carbs: One serving: a mini bagel, 3/4-1 cup cold cereal such as Kashi GoLean, Grape Nut Flakes or Raisin Bran, hot cereal such as oatmeal or oat bran. Add flaxseed.
- Protein: Nuts and low-fat milk on the cereal, peanut butter, hard-boiled egg, nuts, plain low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese.
- Fruit: oranges, berries (on the cereal), nectarine, apple.
- Treat: A little indulgence in dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate covered almonds goes along way for me to resist other sweets I might see around the house. A little prevention is good protection. I skip this if I have eaten them with the popcorn.
Oh, and by the way, when I was last at my doctor's she went over routine tests with me and remarked that my cholesterol was very good -better than hers!